Thursday, November 19, 2009

Beatnik Bee

One last bee getting started. But this one is a themed bee. We are still looking for two more members. So send me an email if you would like to join. [Edited: We are all filled up now, thanks!]


An online quilting bee is where 12 members work over a year to make quilting blocks for one another. For the Beatnik Bee, we wanted to stretch our design skills a little by taking traditional blocks and changing them to a little more modern in flavor. For example,
  • stretching traditional blocks to make them rectangles instead of perfectly square
  • or making them a bit larger, like a single block for the whole quilt.
  • or taking a modern painter and thinking up a way to design a block that is inspired by one of their paintings, like Franz_Kline.
  • or using modern fabrics for a traditional block.
Like I said, stretching our design hats. The Beatnik Bee is an off shoot of the Block Party Quilt Along group.

1 comment:

Lara said...

Hi Heidi,
I'm very interested to join? But I can't seem to email you? I'll flickr mail you too! Have you got more information? I'd love to join in if this is open to international quilters :)