Sunday, October 25, 2009

Old Red Barn Round 4: Curves and More

Welcome to round four of the Old Red Barn Quilt Along! This round is going to be a smorgasbord of blocks for you all. We will be doing the following block types and techniques:
  • Curved Piecing
  • Applique Circles
  • Crazy 9-patch
  • String
  • Snowball
Now don't you worry or get intimidated by the diagrams below. We will be taking things one step at a time. And everything will be easy-peasy :) I included some designs that do not include curved piecing and applique just in case you are still a little shy about trying them. So without further ado, here are the designs.

**Each link goes to a PDF google document that has all the fabric requirements for that design. I made some errors in the fabric requirments for these designs. There is the new document that has general instructions and requirements information for all four designs. The pdf links below will only be the diagrams for that option (links were edited to point to the new pdfs). And another PDF that shows the number of each type of block for each option.

Option 1: Wild Circle Surprise
This option has a little bit of everything in it for you: string and crazy 9-patch blocks, curved piecing and appliquéd circles.

Option 2: Snowball Surpreme
This option does not include any curved piecing, but does include some appliquéd circles on top of the snowball square. This is for anyone who is still nervous about curved piecing. The snowball block uses straight sewing to make an octagon that looks like a circle. 

Option 3: Little of This, Little of That...
This option also has no curved piecing, but includes lots of string and crazy 9-patch blocks. I also included some appliquéd circles on this one to add some depth.

Option 4: Look Ma, No Curves!
This option has no appliqué or curved piecing, just a little bit string, crazy 9-patch and snowball block types.

I will be doing Option 1 since it has all of the blocks and techniques in it. This will also be the quilt that will be up for a giveaway at the end of this round. Until that time, hop on over to the flickr group for the first giveaway, a fat quarter bundle from Jennifer Paganelli called Dance with Me.

Dance with Me: Jennifer Paganelli

To enter, just leave a comment on the discussion thread. On Sunday, November 1st, I will randomly draw a winner. I will contact you via your Flickr account mail for your address to mail you your prize sometime on Monday, November 2nd.

Good Luck!

12 comments:

Dana said...

Oh. My. Word. Heidi! You've out done yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am speechless. And in awe.

Can't wait to get started.

karen said...

Heidi - thanks so much for taking this on. I am so excited about learning so much in making this quilt - your directions are awesome - really clear. I love my Kaffe Fasset fabric and think your design will make beautiful use of it.

Shona B said...

Count me in. This looks like a lot of fun!

Vallee said...

I am planning on doing option three...just to make sure I understand correctly...I need to get 10 different 1/2 yard cuts?

Cynthia said...

This is great. Thank you for getting us started.

Teresa said...

OOOOOOO I am excited! I'm going to go for option 3. eeeee I'm so geeked!

Susan said...

Wow! What an amazing amount of work you've done. Thank you! Can't wait to get started on option 3.

Heidi said...

Thanks, ladies. Don't forget to go over to the flickr group thread and register for the giveaway. Leave a comment on the thread over there, not here :) Though, I appreciate ya visiting here too. Hee Hee.

Rafael's Mum said...

You are very generous giving away that beautiful fabric! Plus putting all the time in to make the instruction for all these quilts! They will make beautiful quilts, it will be lovely to see the results! I hope someday to be able to learn all these techniques!

Susan said...

I don't think I'll get over how much work you've put into this, Hats.

Truly, I'm astonished. It reminds me of what I would do, if I wasn't so lazy. lol

I'm going upstairs to pull some fabrics. There goes my tidy workroom!

Marianne said...

I can hardly wait. I wish we were starting today.

You've done an incredible amount of work on this, thank you so much.

"Maripenquiltmom"

Kathleen said...

this looks like a grear quiltalong...thanks so much for organising it