Friday, October 9, 2009

Blogger's Quilt Festival 2009

Crazy 9-Patch Doll Quilt Finished and Washed




This is my favorite quilt to date. This doll-sized crazy 9-patch was made for one of my nieces back in March of 2008. I hadn't been quilting long at this point. And this was my first non-strippy quilt attempt. I found the tutorial for the crazy 9-patch on Jenny Beck Harris' All Sorts blog. I fell in love with the vintage fabrics she used in her tutorial.

I just love this quilt. It makes me smile every time I look at these pictures. To me everything seemed to gel perfectly for this quilt. The fabrics are bright, cheery, and vintage looking. There are actual vintage reproductions in there too. The quilting was one of my first "original" free-motion designs that went beautifully with the quilt. It is also one of the first quilts that I did with a border. Though, that really isn't saying to much since I had just started quilting the previous fall (2007) :)

The Crazy 9 Patch block was so much fun to sew. The finished quilt looks like I spent a lot of time piecing all those small rectangles together when actually most of it was done through cutting a stack of blocks and resewing them together again.

The scrappy border pulls out most of the fabrics from the middle. I really like scrappy borders because the use up the leftover fabric from the block creation. I tend to enjoy scrappy quilts the best because they are "reusing" something that may have been discarded. Not exactly recycling but definitely using up what one has on hand.


And to top it off this quilt went to one of my nieces, like I mentioned before. I feel like I am keeping a family tradition where the aunts make the nieces quilts. I received one from my grandmother and my aunts when I was about 8 or 10.

The quilt was red and white. The red fabric had little strawberries all over it. It was a simple quilt with alternating blocks of red and white, but the white blocks had these large appliqued strawberries on them made from the red strawberry fabric. To give you some backstory, my nickname in my mother's family was strawberry, so I of course received a strawberry quilt. I still have the quilt even though it is in sad need of repair.

Now go pop over to Park City Girl's blog and see the rest of the show! :)

More Photos

Backing for the Quilt
Backing for the Quilt

A close up of the flower motif after washing.
Close up of washed flower quilting

A close up of the flower quilting motif with my guidelines still showing before I washed the quilt.
Close up of the Flower Quilting

Quilt top before quilting
Crazy 9 Patch Quilt

45 comments:

Anne said...

The flower motif is really a cute addition to this quilt!

Rebecka said...

Cute quilt. Love the colors and the quilting is great!

Shawn said...

Love the way you drew on your quilting motif, I want to give that a try. Wonderful quilt and inspiration, thanks for sharing.

RosaMarĂ­a said...

lovely!! i love crazy quilts! the colors you uses are so great! thanks for sharing!

Zonnah said...

It is beautiful!

Carol said...

Happy quilt. Isn't it interesting how different a quilt looks before/after quilting.

Sara said...

Very, very adorable quilt...Love the colors...

Rhondi said...

Very pretty colors. I've never made a doll quilt before. Maybe it's time for me to do one for our little grand daughter!
Happy quilting, Rhondi

amandajean said...

it's really cute! i love the bright colors. i remember when i first saw that tutorial...i never made one. yet. ;)

Stephanie (A Ditchin' Time Quilts) said...

very cute, I love the quilting and colors. Thanks!

littlewoodbird said...

Very cheery indeed! Great quilt! Well done!

Helen said...

It is perfect! Love the colours and quilting.

Quiltluver said...

Very pretty. I love the colors, and your quilting looks great.

Rafael's Mum said...

Hiya Heidi, You go girl! Love the flower and the brightness. great colour choices lovely quilt!

BUMBLE BEANS said...

What a fun happy quilt!!

Leslie said...

i love the crazy 9 patch pattern...and the colors and your quilting is amazing

kwiltmakr said...

Very nice quilt. I love the repro's too. I do like the crazy 9 patch pattern. Good job on the quilting as well.

bellsjo said...

Such a great quilt - I love it!

Rene' said...

I am sure your niece loves this quilt. So great that you are passing the tradition on. I love the colors and the pattern. Thanks for sharing.

Heather said...

I just pulled out my little quilt based upon her tutorial last night--just finished, washed and from the drier. A smaller version might now have to be made. Thank you for the inspiration--your colors are so pretty.

paula, the quilter said...

This is a sweet little quilt.

quiltmom said...

Lovely quilted flower motif and such great colors and fabrics. I am sure your nieces love the quilt as much as you love the red and white strawberry one.
I have made a similar block called Magic tiles and it is a very fun quilt to make.
I had never heard of it referred to as the Crazy Nine patch. Thanks for the link to the tutorial. I will have to go and check it out.
Regards,
Anna

Carin said...

The flower quilting is wonderful, it is perfect with the 30's fabrics.

henny said...

Very sweet piece, Heidi :)
I love the quilting line.

SewCalGal said...

Delightful quilt. Thanks for participatng in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Cindy said...

Love the colors, and the design, and the quilting is so sweet. I'm definitely going to have to add a crazy 9 patch to my list of quilts to attempt (I'm working on my 2nd quilt now, so the list is quickly out-pacing my sewing time!) Thanks for sharing!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Such a bright and colorful quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Jocelyn
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

Serena said...

Awesome!! I really like this little piece a lot!

dillpickle said...

I love it! I'm looking for inspiration for a quilt for my daughter - your use of colour is giving me ideas!! Thanks :-)

Teresa said...

OOOOOOOHHH I love this! I found a pattern for a "curvy nine patch" in a magizine a few months ago and have been trying to decide if I should try it. Seeing your quilt has me sold! Thanks for sharing!

Sara said...

This looks like such a fun quilt! I need to try this one :)

Amy - Park City Girl said...

such a fun happy quilt! Thanks for sharing :)

creativedawn said...

a beautiful doll quilt! you can make a couple for me any day...love this one!
hugz, Pam

ParisMaddy said...

Traditions are so important and it's great you were able to continue with one. Great colours.

creativedawn said...

Well, I didn't mind landing back here because I love this quilt! It is so bright and I love the wavy blocks!
hugz, Pam

Lisa said...

Your quilt is adorable! Thanks for the link for the crazy 9-patch. I'm going to have to try that!

Deborah said...

great quilt, lovely colors and pattern!

Leila said...

I love crazy nine patches! I too am trying to make a baby blanket for each of my nieces/nephews. We'll see how it goes!

Suzanne said...

Very cute! You did a great job on the quilting!

Heidi said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely complements. This quilt was only the fourth quilt attempted. So I was pretty psyched at how well it came together. My sister tells me that my niece carried it around with her everywhere for about a week. Sigh, it makes it all worth while :)

Allie said...

Such a beautiful happy quilt! I love a crazy 9 patch. Your quilting looks lovely!

Love 2 Quilt said...

So cute and bright, I love the pattern.

MARIKA said...

I like it the quilt very nice.
Marika

Michelle said...

This is such a sweet and beautiful quilt. I love how you quilted the flowers.

Casey said...

A very vibrant and fun quilt. I love it.