Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Charity Quilt

As I have mentioned before, I am a member of the local Junior Woman's Club (JWC) that is a service organization. The club raises money for local charities.

For the next two years it is the Bob Perks Cancer Assistance Fund. Bob Perks was a State College, PA native and a founding member of Coaches vs. Cancer here at Penn State. After Mr. Perks died of skin cancer in 2005, his wife, Doreen, established the fund to help individuals and families dealing with cancer. The fund provides money for those families basic necessities.

Every year the JWC's biggest fundraiser is around the beginning of December. They provide a place for children to purchase gifts for their family at reasonable prices (all under $5.00). It is called the Elves' Gift Shop.

Last year I made a quilt and donated it to the Silent Auction that is a part of the Elves event. I would like to do the same this year. I was wondering if any of my wonderful readers would like to donate a square to the quilt.

Requirements I have are:

  1. Any color of blue fabric will do. I will be adding a chocolate brown border, so if your blue is mixed with brown even better. Mixing in solids of neutral blocks is fine as well. Or even blues and neutral combo prints is fine. If the fabric has a blue color in it and/or a neutral, you are good to go :)
  2. The finished block is squared to 12.5" x 12.5".
  3. The block can be:
a four-patch
(4, 6.5" x 6.5" squares before sewing)










or a nine-patch
(9, 4.5" x 4.5" squares before sewing)










I would like to have the square to me by October 19th. I have that week off and would want to focus on making the quilt.

Feel free to fold up the square and mail it to me in a standard envelope. No sense in trying to keep it flat while getting it to me. The postal rate will be a lot cheaper too :)

Let me know if you are interested by leaving a comment below with your address. If you don't feel comfortable with leaving your email address, send me a message at heidielliott72@gmail.com.

Do not feel like you have to participate at all. But any assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2 comments:

Annie of Blue Gables said...

count me in! I owe you BIG.
xxoo
~a

Tiffany said...

I'd love to do this!