Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sisters and Shoes

This last week I spent sometime with my family back in Illinois. I have two sisters, one older, Kim, and one younger, Crystal. Kim is turning 40 this year, so Crystal and I decided to take her to Chicago for the weekend for her birthday.

From left to right: Crystal, Heidi, and Kim
Sisters

I arrived in Chicago last Wednesday and spent most of the day wondering around to different fabric shops in the downtown area:
The Needle Shop
A cute shop that teaches sewing and sells some designer fabrics at the corner of Hoyne and Charleston in Bucktown, Chicago. The staff was very friendly :) They have a nice selection of home dec, linen and cotton fabrics as well as notions, patterns and books.I had a lovely walk, about 6 blocks, from the CTA Blue Line's Western stop to the shop. If you are in the neighborhood, Arturo's is a wonderful place to stop for lunch.
Fishman's Fabrics
Found near the loop in downtown Chicago, Fishman's is close to Vogue and Rainbow fabric near the corner of South Desplaines Street and Roosevelt Road. They are currently under renovations (July 2009), but are still open for business. Not much quilting cottons but lots of other great fabrics to offer: velvets, gingham, vinyl, leather, lace, satins, wools, tweeds, ribbons, zippers, etc.
New Rainbow Fabrics
Across the street from Vogue on Roosevelt Road, this shop had a good selection of apparel fabrics. They had some beautiful silk baroque at the front of the store. They have a large selection of linen too.
Vogue Fabrics
Close to Rainbow and Fishman's, this store was the mother load for different fabrics. Everything from cottons to silk to batik to apparel and home dec. They have a whole section for notions and a wall-o-buttons. Definitely worth the stop to peruse the store. I walked off with some batiks :)
At about 6:00pm on Wednesday, I took the Amtrak train down to Kewanee so my sister and mom could pick me up. Only $16.00 for my ticket. Not bad compared to $250.00 to rent a car one way for the same trip. The train was not crowded and it was relaxing not to have to drive out of Chicago and be on the road for three hours by myself. Definitely and option for future travel...

Thursday was spent in and around Peoria, IL. A trip to the zoo with my niece and nephews was excellent. Lunch was at Avanti's, mmm Italian... and the best bread ever. Friday morning was spent with my mom in Toulon, IL having a good lunch at a local diner, Connie's Country Kitchen. As a matter of fact, Connie's was the place I worked at during high school as a waitress. The burgers are still just as good as ever!

We spent Friday night driving to Chicago. We had a lovely breakfast at a restaurant close to our hotel then headed to the CTA train station at O'hare. After a lovely train ride, we walked around downtown Chicago visiting the Art Institute, some shops on Michigan Avenue and Navy Pier. Lunch was at a burger joint at Navy Pier called Billy Goat Tavern. You may have heard of this place, but the funnest part about it is that Saturday Night Live did a skit based on this restaurant. The famous "Cheezborger, Cheezborger, Cheezborger... Pepsi, no Coke... Chips, no fries" skit :) There is actually a guy "taking the orders" by yelling out Cheezborger. I couldn't help but smile every time he did.

We then took the blue train out of downtown and stopped off at Damen to visit the shopping district there. They have vintage clothing, music and book stores in this shopping district. We didn't stay long since we were tired and there was a music festival going on in the area. LOTS of people...

Shoes
It all about the shoes

My nephew was wearing these adorable Lightning McQueen shoes during my visit. I couldn't resist getting a picture of them.

1 comment:

Annie of Blue Gables said...

You three are so very cute. I am glad to see a good picture of you as well.
~a