Monday, May 25, 2009

Final Fabric Selection for Old Red Barn Sew-A-Long

Week 1: Gather Materials

Final Fabric Selection

Here are the final 12 1/2 yard cuts for the Old Red Barn Sew-A-Long quilt. Lots of Flights of Fancy with a little bit of Amy Butler and Denyse Schmidt. I had been looking for a use of the green and white fabric second in from the left. The green matches very well. I am super excited to finally get to use it. I picked it up in San Francisco at Britex Fabrics. This is a 4 story wonder of a store with lots of fabric and notions to choose from; I highly recommend popping in if you are ever in the neighborhood. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

My husband and I took a short road trip it Altoona, Pennsylvania this weekend. We stopped at Surplus City. I always find lots of goodies when I stop here. They have a good selection of quilting cottons. I always find some Michael Miller here. I walked away with quite the load of fabric this time as well as some Ric Rack and ribbon. I am thinking about using the Ric Rack on the blossom quilt I am making.

Surplus City Finds

Ric Rack

Surplus City Finds

In addition to stopping at Surplus City, we ate at our favorite Mexican restaurant, El Campesino. Mmmmm.... Yummy!

Finally, I got started on a quilt that needs to be done before the end of the summer. I was able to make great progress on it. I cut out the pieces on Sunday night and did most of the sewing on Monday. I think it is coming along well. I have plenty of extra fabric, so I should be able to piece the back of this quilt too.

Brown and Green Quilt

Top rows of Brown and Green Quilt

4 comments:

Tina said...

lots of yummy fabrics to drool over in your post! and your summer quilt has a cool effect!

Jen said...

great fabrics. Love the new quilt! Can't wait to see what you do on the back.

Jess said...

Wow, I love this one!

Heidi said...

Thanks Jess! I finished the green quilt top late last week. This weekend will be working on the back and quilting it. My deadline is before mid-July to get it done :)