Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Just Finished and Current Projects

So I am participating in Tall Grass Praire Studio's Spring to Finish where we are trying to finish as many works in progress as we can by the end of April. I finished one project where I used one of my prototype squares to finish a doll quilt for one of my best friend's daughter.

Dragonfly Pinwheels

Dragonfly Pinwheels Doll Quilt

I used all my scraps from the front to make the back, yeah!

Dragonfly Pinwheels Doll Quilt Back

I love the swirl quilting pattern in the border.

Close up of Dragonfly Pinwheel Doll Quilt

Another project that I am trying to finish is actually due by this weekend, as the wedding I am making it for is this Saturday :) EEEK! I am making good progress on the quilt.

I used fabric from my stash that I purchased in Austin, TX. I loved all the pastels together with the brown fabric. It is a very subtle in color quilt for me. I usually am a bright colors kinda a gal, but I needed to break out of that mold a little. (Sorry about the fuzzy, discolored photos...)

I had a plan for using log-cabin like blocks but nothing past that they needed to be at least 12.5 x 12.5 inches when finished.

Pastel Log Cabin on Design Wall

Close up of white bordered square

Close up of blue square

I have the front and back finished. I am starting to quilt it on my frame in the basement. I ran into a snag, because I started to do different quilting patterns for inside the blocks, i.e., different from the border quilting. I didn't like it at all, so I decided to rip out the quilting and just do a single pattern over the whole quilt. We'll see how it goes. Once I get the binding on and have it washed I will post the final pictures.

Pastel Log Cabin on my quilting frame

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

and Sarah LOVES the quilt! Thanks again Heidi! The quilt for the wedding is gorgeous of course, I would expect nothing less *wink*

Tina said...

Pretty wedding log cabin!

Kelly said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! You've got some beautiful quilt work here! I'll have to check out your site.

jacquie said...

great finish! love the quilting...and i ADORE you new project...can't wait to see more.

susan said...

both quilts are gorgeous! i love the muted colors in the wedding quilt. i am dying to see how you quilted it. and that wee quilt is so pretty and colorful! love it!

Heidi said...

Thanks everyone! I love the feeling of a finished project. There is definitely a certain euphoria to it. Happy crafting everyone!