Monday, March 23, 2009

Finished Front for DQS6 - Start of Back

So I was a good little camper this weekend and finished the front of my doll quilt for the DSQ6.

Design
Here are the doors that were the inspiration for the quilt:

Mission Door 

They are from a mission near San Antonio, TX. I love how rustic and rugged these looked. The pattern in them screamed quilt to me. I made a drawing from the photo of what I wanted to make. As I progressed though, I had to adapt to the smaller dimensions of the swap (anything between 12" x 12" - 24" x 24").

The Mission 

I had to drop the final two rows and I am going to be about a 1/2 inch over 24" height-wise. For the sake of creativity and balance I am leaving that little half inch in. Sorry :)

Progress shots

Fabrics for DQS6 

DSQ6: First blocks for Mission Quilt 

I started piecing together the three tall panels across row. I measured a little but nothing to exact. Mostly just holding the fabric up to my cutting board and getting an approximation.

Close up of row 1 

After doing the first row and adding the background fabric around the three tall panels, I realized that I would have to plan out the other two rows a little more to stay within the constraints. I used rough sketches to plan out sizes of the piecing for the two fat panel row. This worked better and I was able to keep it at a manageable width to align with the three panel row.

Close up of row 2 

First two rows 

The final row I also planned out and it went the quickest. The final row ended up at the top of the quilt because by this point I realized that I would not be able to do all five as I originally planned. So I departed at this point and placed it at the top so that I would have the three tall panel row in the middle.

Close up of Row 3 

Before adding the border fabric I noticed that the white scraps were standing out a little to much and the final row did not have any white in it.

All three rows in place before final border added 

So I added some scraps to the bottom right corner of the border to balance out the stark white.

Close up of bottom right corner 

Here is the final version of the front of the quilt:

The Mission - Finished 

Back for the quilt
I like piecing the backs for quilts as much as the front, so I decided to do a pinwheel design for the back. My partner seems to like both modern-ish quilts and classic pieced ones. This is the first time I have done a pinwheel, so I wanted to do some prototypes before cutting out from the actual fabric.

Pinwheel 

I did several versions with scraps I had in my stash, but ended up successful with making the squares 4.5" x 4.5" so that the final block would be 6.5" x 6.5". This allows me a little extra (about 1/4") to trim down to the right size. The blocks will be encased in a border and not touching, so I don't have to worry about the pinwheels matching up with the one next to it so much. Yeah, yeah, kinda cheating, but for my first time I can live with it :)

I selected a little bit more whimsical fabric for the backing. Pinwheels seem whimsical to me. There is a little bit of Sugar Snap in here by Melissa Averinos (FreeSpirit Fabrics). The Sugar Snap fabrics will be the big pinwheel in the block. This part of the block is the large blue circle fabric in the prototype blocks above.

Fabrics for backing DSQ6 

I pulled the colors from the Sugar Snap for the smaller interior pinwheel and the background fabric. Orange and lavender will make up the smaller interior pinwheel (like the purple firefly and navy blue circle fabrics from the prototype). Here is the stack of pressed orange and lavender triangles.

Finished Triangles DQS6 

Finally, I pinned all the orange and lavender triangles to the Sugar Snap squares. I drew guides on the back to make sewing the triangles easier. I did the same on the orange/lavender ones. I used my rotary cutting ruler that has a 1/4" mark (see through ruler) to create the two sewing guides on either side of the center line.

 

Pinned PinWheels 

After sewing these up, I will take pictures of the squares sewn but not cut apart yet. That way you can see which lines are sewn and which one I use for cutting the squares apart.

That's it for now. I will post more progress on the back soon.