Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Doll Quilt Swap 6: Pattern and Fabrics Are Finally Final

I did a bunch of sketches to figure out what pattern I wanted for my DQS6 partner. I sorta wanted to do an improvisational quilt, so I settled on the pattern labeled "The Mission" below. Though I may do another quilt using "The Plaza" so I have a choice on which one I want to send.

Enlarged Drawings: Simplicity, Dancing Squares, and Graffiti
These enlargements range from 19" - 24" wide and 23" - 26" tall. They were enlarged using the live trace feature in Illustrator. I then printed them out and taped them together so I can use them as a guide while piecing together the quilt. Although these did not make the cut for DQS6, I am going to make the in the near future.
Enlarged Versions of Possible Doll Quilts

The one on the top left was inspired by a building in San Francisco:
Simplity

The other two are enlarged sketches from some doodles I had in my sketchbook:
Dancing Squares
Graffiti

The Mission
The picture is from a mission in San Antonio, TX. I love the chunky wooden doors. I felt that they could be adapted into a quilt pattern fairly easily.
The Mission

The Plaza
This picture was taken in the Plaza in Kansas City, MO. It is a lovely district near the downtown area. Once again, this looked like a quilt to me.
The Plaza

Finally, here are the fabric selections for the Mission quilt. I will post the fabrics for the Plaza quilt as soon as I select them.
Fabrics for DQS6

3 comments:

Tina said...

I like seeing your sketches and your thoughts behind the scenes. Can't wait to see how it turns out! Pretty fabrics.

AnnieOfBlueGables said...

Wow Heidi! I can't wait to see the finished project! Found you from Twiddle Tails, now I will have to subscribe to be sure I see it to the end!
~a

jacquie said...

love seeing your process. that plaza pic is so great. i know just where that is!