Sunday, March 29, 2009

Doll Quilt Swap 6: Finished

Well I finished the back and the quilting for my doll quilt. I also was able to figure out a way to add tabs to the top of the quilt so that it can be hung on the wall on a rod. I was able to do this by sewing the sandwich together right-sides together with the batting on the back. Then turning it rightside out. I stuck the tabs into the top seam so that they would be securly attached when I flipped the quilt rightside out.

Now for what you really want to see, the finished results.
Front
Finished Mission Quilt

Close-up of finished quilting on Mission Quilt

Backside

Here is a close up of the squares after sewing along the two pencil guidelines I made earlier.

Getting Triangles from Squares

I aligned my ruler along one of my seams using the 1/4" guide line. It should place the edge of the ruler directly on the center cut line I made with my pencil earlier. This is the line that went from corner to corner at a 45 degree angle.

Ruler on the center cutting line

I am cutting along the center line with my rotary cutter. My ruler is placed to that the 1/4" guide is on the seam I just finished sewing.

Actual Cut

Square cut into two triangles before pressing them out into squares again.

Finished Cut

This is what both sides of the cut square look like. One half is the single triangle of the Sugar Snap fabric while the other is the orange and lavender double triangle. As you can see I ironed the orange and lavender seam open. This will help later so that the center of the final block will not be so bulky.

Both sides of the triangles

After pressing the seams open and ironing the right side so the square is as flat as it is going to be, I trimmed the ends of the fabric hanging off at the corners. I used my scissors for this instead of my rotary blade. It made it go much faster.

After pressing

Double triangles sewn, trimmed and pressed. These are ready to sewn together into groups of four.

Stacks of squares

Before sewing the final blocks together I laid them out to make sure I had the double triangles pointing in the right directions and the inner pinwheels had all the same colored spokes.

Laying Out Blocks

This is what the blocks looked like after sewing up two of the four squares together. When I flipped the two squares so that their right sides were facing, I marked in pencil which side I was supposed to sew. That way I could maneuver the two squares to align and pin them without having to remember which side should be sewn.

After first round of sewing

When I was prototyping I tried pressing the seams in one direction instead of open. This caused a lot of bulk at the center of the square by the time I was finished. So for the final prototype I tried pressing the seam open and the bulkiness in the middle was lessened.

Finished pinwheel block from back

An awfully yellow picture, but this is the final layout of the double pinwheel blocks for the back side of the quilt. It will have a background/border of that dark maroon color in the Sugar Snap triangles.

Layout of back of DQS6

Here is the final back with its border and quilting done.
Double Pinwheel Back Finshed

Leftover Blocks from the Double PinWheel Back

I had two leftover blocks from the back, so I decided to make some potholders to send with the quilt to my doll quilt swap partner. Here are the sandwiched tops, batting and backing pinned and ready to be quilted.

Leftover blocks from Double Pinwheel

This is what the two potholders look like after quilting.
Quilted Potholder 1

Quilted Potholder 2

The final potholders with bias tape I made from scraps. I did this very similarly to making binding for a quilt. I added pieces together at 45 degree angles so I could have one long piece. I ironed a center crease into the fabric. Then I ironed both raw edges into the center aligning at the crease.
Finished Potholders

Back of potholders

2 comments:

jacquie said...

your doll quilt turned out really cute...i love the color scheme.

Aimee said...

Wow - both sides are equally gorgeous! Your partner is soooo lucky!

Thanks for the tutorial on the double pinwheel - those are so cool!