Saturday, January 17, 2009

Project Improv: Orange and Pink Charity Block

Here is my first charity block for the Project Improv log cabin quilts.

I am actually pleased with how this turned out. I had no other plan then to construct it using the log cabin block techniques. I just kept adding pieces until I had one big enough to square off at 12.5" x 12.5". Near the end I had to make some pieces longer to make it down the sides of the block, but I like the interrupted look of the pink and orange pieces near the outer edge. I think I will try more of this technique on my next block.

Here are a couple of shots of my ironing and cutting table full of scraps and piles of fabric. I find that I can think though the process better when I see all the fabric options that I can use.

The tissue paper on top of the pile of fabric is a quick and dirty 12.5" x 12.5" pattern. I used it to test if my block was big enough yet to square off. It was easier to guage which sides I needed to add more rows to when increasing the size of the block to match the final deminsions. It worked out well for me. I hate to have to recount the inches on my cutting board to tell how big something is. I often make mistakes that way by miscounting. Not good ;) I don't have one of those big square cutting guides, so I think this will do for now.

1 comment:

jacquie said...

i know what you mean about counting those inches over and over...i cut myself a 12.5 inch square of template plastic and i use it to lay over my work to tell how much i need to add. it's not exact, but it's better than counting inches or paying all that money for those see through squares.
love your block too!!!