Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Project Improv: My Project

Here are some blocks that I have started for my Project Improv personal project. I am using some scraps and left-over yardage from a quilt I am making for some friends (one side, second side started, second side block construction). I will post at a later date some pillow cases I am making to match the quilt too.

Back to improv blocks, I just started grabbing pieces of fabric and laying out individual blocks. Last night I started to sew these three together. I had to improvise a little further with one block because it wasn't large enought to cut down to the 6" square template that I am using. So I just kept adding fabric to the block until it was larger then 6". I will post the sewn versions of these tomorrow sometime.

Purple Square 1
Purple Square 2Purple Square 3

This block has all the purple fabric sewn together and is waiting for the addition of a border. I think I will add the chocolate brown border. It sets off the purple nicely.

First Square on Design Board

I will post the layout of all the blocks as I progress. I am not sure if I want all the background to be brown or intermixed with more purple or white fabric. I will take pictures of my experiments for you all.

I also just hung up a piece of felt on my wall to help with laying out quilts. I LOVE IT. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. You can see the white felt around the edges of the block in the picture above.

2 comments:

maggi said...

Love the way you are working on the blocks. Thanks also for your comment on my B & W Challenge blog re the binding.

jacquie said...

heidi,
i love the start of your project. and the chocolate brown is great. i never would have thought of that. such drama!