Thursday, July 31, 2008

Vintage Books Found in Kansas City

Lets start with the non-craft books:

Arnold SchwarzeneggerArnold Schwarzenegger Book 2

I just died of laughter when I saw this book in the Salvation Army store in Overland Park, KS. Ah, the 70's... My husband is a weight lifter. He has an Arnold workout book that is a little more recent. This one was published in 1979. I love, rolling my eyes, the workout leotard ;). And, no, I did not purchase this one. Despite it's comedic/nostalgic value. Now on to the craft books.

Quilting Books from Salvation Army Store

Three books I rescued from a thrift store in Overland Park, KS. They were a dollar a piece. The pictures are dated, the 1980's, but the content is still good to apply to more updated  my projects. The books are:


The patchwork books cover quilting as well as using quilted fabric to make other types of projects like pillows, bears, cats, potholders, etc. The Machine Stitchery book covers applique and other stitch technique like in next picture.

Penafore

This was a project inside the Machine Stitchery book. I like the technique. You stitch around what you want to remove. Then you remove the fabric and you get these great cut outs.

Polka-Dot Quilt Pattern

I love this quilt. I would, hmph, since I keep buying fabric with circle patterns. I think I would be able to do a more random dot pattern with this as a jumping off point.

1988 Heart Apron

Yet another "rolling on the floor laughing" moment for me in the thrift store. I love the vintage photos; it reminds me of my childhood ;) I held this up to my husband and asked if he could date the book. He was close; he guessed the early 80's. This book was published in 1987. Once again, I think I can apply the principles behind the patterns in the book to my future projects.

No comments: