Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wedding Quilt, Quilting Frame

Wedding Quilt


I have been working on a quilt for some friends of mine that recently got married. I picked out a couple of designs from a book called "The Modern Quilt Workshop". I loved all the contemporary patterns in the book. I found it while browsing the quilting section in my local Barnes and Noble bookstore. Here is the flickr set of the quilt in progress.


The color combinations are at the request of the couple. I wasn't sure about the lavender and brown combination until I finished one of the bead blocks. I think it is quite lovely. I also decided instead of having a plain backing fabric that I was going to make them a "reversible" quilt. Both sides will have a quilt top. The one side is dark chocolate brown and the other is cream colored with dark browns and greens.

I finished with the dark side pretty quickly since the piecing for the design is fairly minimal. Though it was the first time I had done circle piecing. As you can see from the photo, I went ahead and pinned all the half-circle pieces before I started to sew them. I had permanent indentations from the pins :)

The light side of the quilt is still in progress. I will post some more pictures to the set in the next couple of days. I just finished sewing all twenty of the strip set this past weekend. This week I have been cutting the strip sets into 2.5 inch blocks to sew along the 6x6 inch blocks for the quilt. The light side is taking longer since the piece work is a little more intense. But I think that it will turn out as well.


Machine Quilting Frame


I have ordered a Pinnacle Machine Quilting frame and Baby Lock Quilter's Choice Pro sewing machine today. I will try and keep my blog posted with the progress of setting it up and using it for you all. I am really excited, since the absolute worst part of quilting for me has been the basting and the quilting. My little Kenmore sewing machine has a very small throat. It made it very difficult to push through even a lap sized quilt.

BTW, if you are in the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania area and need to by a sewing machine, the Discount Vacuum & Sewing Center in Harrisburg gave me excellent service for my quilting frame purchase. Cindy was really helpful and answered all of my questions. She responded very quickly to all my emails too. Thanks, Cindy!

No comments: